Monday, September 10, 2012

Churches and the Medieval Period








My first glimpse of a "true" medieval cathedral on our trip was in Colmar about a block from our apartment.  I was mesmerized by the amount of detail work in both the exterior and interior of the massive building.  It is beyond my comprehension how these mammoth buildings were built with the tools of the 13th century.

The other "telling" details were the multiple gargoyles everywhere on the exterior.  With the superstitions of this period it seems that folks were "scared straight" into the faith.  The gargoyle in the picture above is actually holding a small baby in it's claws!

Dan

7 comments:

DawnTreader said...

These old cathedrals are rather overwhelming, aren't they. I've read some novels connected with the building of them - like William Golding's The Spire. Ken Follett's The Pillar of the Earth. Ildefonso Falcones, Cathedral of the Sea.

Linda P said...

I could spend a long time looking at the interesting detail in your images which also says something about my response to the real place if I was ever able to visit it.

ADRIAN said...

Yet another feast for the eyes. I see Monica has already recommended Ken Follet. 'World Without End' is also a good one.

shabby girl said...

Okay, I can't even follow this. I have to go back to the beginning.
I'll be back!

Dan Felstead said...

DawnTreader...we met a traveler on the trip who also recommended Pillar of the earth...she was reading it at the time. I am going to download it on my kindle.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Linda...thank you so much for the kind words. If you ever get the chance...don't pass it up.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Adrian..I will also check out world without end. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dan