Monday, November 17, 2008

clair⋅voy⋅ant
  –adjective
1. having or claiming to have the power of seeing objects or actions beyond the range of natural vision.

If you could zoom out from the duck pond, you would see the crowds, hear the chatter of a hundred conversations blurring into noise, smell the corn dogs and cotton candy combined into an odor that is familiar yet confusing and feel the thunderous bass of Smoke on the Water playing at an inhuman decibel while the rocket ride takes its pound of flesh at the festival. The frenzy spills into the duck pond but at the center of it all, one little plastic duck remains apart from the chaos. I envied it's ability to remain clear in an unclear world. I picked up the duck to see the prize I won and it said
F O C U S
I looked around me and what was chaos became an ordered yet spontaneous interactive sea of humanity. The children, wide eyed and full of excitement were focused on the stuffed animals and knew without a doubt they could pitch the nickel and it would land in the center plate. The singles were focused on pitching the nickel and winning the prize ensuring the loyalty and admiration of their friend. Thanks to the little plastic duck and the message it carried through the foaming water, I was able to cut through the blur of the noise and take in the sites around me. I see the world differently now.

No comments: