Wednesday, March 4, 2009

In the late 1800's and early 1900's and probably even earlier than that, the process for manufacturing glass was not yet perfected. The process left gas and air bubbles in the sheet as it cured. It left a somewhat imperfect view of the outside world. But functionally, it met the basic needs...kept out the elements and let light in to the dim environs within.

For a photographer, the old glass is the perfect opportunity for a still life. The imperfect glass diffuses the light and mars the image just enough to give a painterly effect. The long exposure captures the moonlit reflections of both the inside and the outside world.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Imperfect view of the outside world? Hey, I have that :-0.
~Mary

Dan Felstead said...

Mary,
Come to think of it...maybe it is not the glass that causes the imperfect view! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Dan

Heather said...

I really like this window :o)...there's something about it.

Happy day to you ;o)

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks Heather and thanks for the B'DAY wishes!

Dan

Sunny said...

The photograph seems to be out of a fairytail.

Dan Felstead said...

Sunny,

I think the reflection of the old house on the right side of the picture adds to the fairy tale effect.

Dan

~ Denise ~ said...

Happy, happy birthday, Dan! ;)

Dan Felstead said...

Denise,
Thank you for the well wishes! I have received more B'day wishes from friends in the blogisphere than from family! Do I need to get a life?

Dan

Lynda Lehmann said...

I've often noticed the waves and bubbles in old glass. Especially in barns and antique stores.

I like the photo, which becomes painterly as you describe it. Taking photos through a ripply shower door is another idea I'd like to try!

Lynda Lehmann said...

It's your birthday? Hope it's SUPER happy!

Dan Felstead said...

Lynda,

Thanks for the BDay wishes...I am getting to the point where acknowledgment of a birthday is almost an insult! Just kidding I appreciate the thoughts. I received a card yesterday congratulating me on a "milestone" birthday (60)...I can do without many more "milestones" like this one!

Dan