Monday, June 1, 2009

This is another image of the windmill I posted earlier. My first attempt at "HDR" images. I don't quite have the technique down as yet but with practice, I think I will get on to it.

HDR...High dynamic Range images are a whole new approach to post processing of images. We have all had those photos where you take this wonderful picture and when you look at it...it just doesn't have that feel that you thought you were getting. The lower part of the picture is great but the sky is white where you saw clouds while taking the picture!

When using this technique, you actually take 3 pictures of the same shot. One is underexposed, one is normal and one is overexposed. None of the photos on their own are what you want but the one that is underexposed brings out the clouds in the "white" sky, the normal exposes the land and the overexposed brings out any details that are normally lost in shadows. After taking the photos, all three are merged into on image and you have the full range of exposure. As you might imagine, the images must be aligned exactly the same or you have a ghosting effect that looks like a photo out of focus.

Anyway, I thought I would share my first attempt....actually my second attempt...yesterday's striped leaves was my first at HDR photography. I think this will be a technique you will begin hearing about has time goes on. I will post others later this week for your comments.

18 comments:

Karrie said...

OMG That is amazing! It looks like a totally different picture. I can't believe it, it doesn't look lonely anymore...it looks as though the heavens are shinning down on it and making the windmill look so alive!

Dan Felstead said...

Karrie
Thanks for you comment. I am like a kid in a candy store with this new process! It is fun to see how the pictures turn out. HDR images always have a particular look about them. It is hard to put a finger on it but the colors are super saturated and the overall image is usually very dramatic.

Dan

Heather said...

Wow! Dan, that is stunning! I love the sunbeams shining through the clouds. What a fascinating technique. Seems like a lot of work, but well worth it.

Dan Felstead said...

Heather...

It is quite cumbersome. Not the type of thing you would want to do on a vacation or casual shots of the family. You have to set aside time particularly for the purpose of taking these types of picture. Just the workflow alone is several steps per image. But it is fun if you have the time.

Dan

Unknown said...

I love this one! Windmills are some of my favorite images and this one with the sunbeams is gorgeous! I wrote a poem for the first pix you posted, but you've inspired me to write another.

I'd like to see what you can do with old barns and buildings. Those are another of my favorites.

Dan Felstead said...

Bobbi,
I have a picture of an old barn taken about a year ago and I will post it on Thursday...thanks for the idea.

Dan

Cynthia L. H. said...

Whatever the process...it's great!
:^)

Dan Felstead said...

Cynthia...I like your no nonsense approach!

Dan

shabby girl said...

Is that how they do 3D? Don't laugh, just asking...
And what about high definition?
However you did it, it looks great!

Dan Felstead said...

Shabbygirl..I can't answer either question??? Although now you have my curiosity...I will try to find out! Thanks for the kind words on the photo.

Dan

Dani said...

That's a very great technique! Thanks for educating us on it. :)

septembermom said...

Spectacular! Love it! Thanks for explaining HDR images. I love coming by your blog to see beautiful photos and learn something too!

Dan Felstead said...

Dani,

I know you have a new camera...you might want to try it...you need to download a program called Dynamic Photo HDR (google it)...$55.00. Your new camera can be set to...well just let me know if you eawnt to try it sometime and I will get you some info.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks Septembermom...
By the way I liked your post on Mick Jagger today!

Dan

Heather said...

How is it that I missed this...been waiting for your post today. Hmmmm...well, anyway, Dan; this is absolutely brilliant!

You are such a gifted Photgrapher, obviously with knowledge.

I really like that you have shared the technique with us. I just might have to take a shot at it myself (just to take on that challenge). I find it odd that I can have the patience for something like this...but not for other things.

By the way - your words to my post yesterday, really touched home and I felt it. Thank you for your wisdom...these thoughts you wrote of are ones that have been on my mind recently too.

...THIS PHOTO IS GORGEOUS!!!

Dan Felstead said...

Vermont Heather...You need the following to put together a HDR image: software: Dynamic Photo HDR or Photomatirx Pro (you can google each), tripod, patience! Send me an email on my personal: dan@medsearchprn.com if you want the nitty gritty on what you need. As far as the comments on your blog...I guess it is the price we pay for longevity.

Dan

boneman said...

HDR?
dang!
I'm still trying to figure out asa and SLR!
HA!
Talk about behind the times I am!
Don't you just know that, if i had one, my transportation would be horse and buggy?

Nice windmill! Very cool skies.
Billowing grass as the wind sighs.

Dan Felstead said...

Boneman...
SLR, HDR, ASA, CIA, FBI, EPA, NSA, GPO....there are just too many acronyms to keep track of...I agree!

Dan