Thursday, July 16, 2009

Abandoned in the middle of the field...the barn is now slowly deteriorating...having served its' purpose in the past.

I have posted before about the decline of elegant houses in Old Evansville with a glorious past. Let's not forget about elegant barns and as well. This barn stands on it's own now...no house in sight...no lane to its' door...no sign of life other than the corn surrounding its' perimeter and the ivy covering it's west wall. The ivy gives away the final abandonment. Left on its' own, the ivy will eventually consume the building as nature so efficiently reclaims its' territory.

From the immense size of the barn...it surely must have been the pride of its' owner years ago. Most likely, the farmhouse stood within a few feet. Inside was the hayloft that the children hid in on those "hide and seek" nights as evening fell. The main door probably opened into an area where the harness and pull plows were stored...later to be replaced by the family's first tractor. Gone now is the electric line that probably ran from the house to the barn...bringing illumination when rural areas were wired during Roosevelt's work programs of the depression.

Now, no more than an obstacle when planing and harvesting...this was surely a strong beautiful structure in its' day.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

If people aged as barns do we'd have a world full of beautiful old people. I have a penchant for old barns. You have presented it beautifully.

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks Tricia...I know you like barns I have seen some of your great pictures!

Dan

septembermom said...

It's sad to think that this barn will disappear soon. I like your line, "nature so efficiently reclaims its territory". There is definitely a poet in you too, Dan! Very nicely done photo:)

Dan Felstead said...

Septembermom...thanks a but a poet ...I am not! Just an observer...couldn't rhyme if I had to!

Dan

Heather said...

Dan - in regards to your comment to septembermom, poetry doesn't have to rhyme, silly!! There is most definitely a hint of poetry in your narratives.

You have a very elegant way of describing things. And of course, you pictures are fantastic.

Dan Felstead said...

Heather....that shows how much I know about poetry!!! I love to read poetry (Was a French/English Lit major)but no M'am...I can't write it!

Dan

Unknown said...

I love this barn - especially the side covered with ivy! Beautiful!

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks Bobbi...you are the plant expert...I would guess that it took several years to cover a wall this size....right?

Dan

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Beautiful picture, reminds me of Pennsylvania.

My oldest brother (the cynical one) would categorize this as "disposable housing" like he does all old homes and buildings.

Pity, that.

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks June...I guess everyone has their own tastes and some don't like the old buildings. There are people in my family like that as well! I am just not one.

Dan

Cynthia L. H. said...

Now THAT'S a barn!!!
Love the ivy...
;^)

Dan Felstead said...

Cynthia...
The ivy is what made this barn unique in my opinion. Have a great weekend!

Dan