Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Wabash River runs slow this time of year. It forms the lower third border of Southwestern Indiana...dividing Indiana and Illinois.


This type of slow running current is ideal for canoeing and it is very popular in this area. I have taken canoes on the Wabash before...the lightness and agility of a canoe makes for a perfect day of riding the slow moving current and observing unpopulated farm and bottom lands and still pristine hardwood forests. With the small footprint of a canoe in the water, you can drift almost silent and listen to the birds on land and the occasional splash of fish as you pass by.

There is nothing like the adrenaline rush of whitewater rafting but just as satisfying is the piece of mind and relaxation of the early evening quiet in a canoe. Where you are left with your thoughts and appreciation of nature. Ever so often, the sweet smell of fresh cut clover hay fills your senses as you pass by the newly cut fields. The river banks also provides new found friends that wave as you pass them by...there is something about a slow moving river that connects people or at least slows them down enough to connect. If I passed the same person in an intersection...would we wave?

I was told once by a physician to think of floating down quiet river on a late Summer evening and to visualize all the sights and sounds you experience on the way...this will gently lull you to sleep. Try it sometime if you if you can't sleep...if not sleep, you will fade into the night relaxed and refreshed for the hectic day ahead.

12 comments:

Heather said...

This is such a warm and inviting photo, Dan and I could definitely close my eyes and hear the sounds, as I rest in a boat on the water.

Have you ever been kayaking?? We will have some in a few years, for sure. I love it!

Sunny said...

A lovely relaxing photo. I like the bridge also.
Sunny :)

Dan Felstead said...

Heather, I have never been kayaking...I have friends who are avid kayakers but I have never taken the plunge...no pun intended! I saw a video last week of an extreme kayaker going over this huge foaming waterfall into the mist and turmoil below...then popping up and surviving...If I ever try it...it won't be over a waterfall!

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Sunny,

Thanks for the comment...in this picture the bridge looks so serene but in reality...it is in very bad shape...I get the creeps every time I cross over it!

Dan

Heather said...

Beautiful.

I'm sure I've told you before (maybe?) but I have always had some sort of deep connection with water, especially the slow moving kind. It relaxes me like nothing else on this earth. I could literally sit on the bank of this river (or a dock on any lake) for hours with nothing but my thoughts.

Dan Felstead said...

Heather, yes indeed...I remember your postings of your tubing trips...a great way to relax, have fun and get a HUGE sunburn! I also saw your ost on Constantin's blog...water again! Although at 60...as I mentioned on his blog...I will have to stick with canoeing rather than the high dives etc! Interesting though.

Dan

Sabrina said...

No kidding--those adrenaline junkies are something else.
Dan, you remind me of Garrison Keillor, the way you write.

Anonymous said...

This seems so peaceful. Beautiful colors. I love bridges of any kind and to coin an old phrase, you have done this one proud.

Dan Felstead said...

Sabrina...Thank you for the kind words...I am blushing! Your comment about Garrison Keillor stopped me in my tracks! What a nice compliment but I have to say I have a long way to go to live up to that standard!

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks Tricia...I am glad you like the bridge. Although this is an auto bridge...my favorite old bridges are the old venerable railroad bridges...they always evoke such history.

Dan

Constantin Gabor said...

Indeed soothing and relaxing! I have great respect towards photographers - they motivate us with their shots! I couldn't document as well all my outdoor adventures without a good photographer.
Nice work!

Dan Felstead said...

Constatin....thanks for the comment. I visited your blog and have to admit I had never heard of Bouldering?? Looks very strenuous and possibly dangerous. Interesting sport.

Dan