Friday, September 11, 2009




There were countless miracles on and after 911 in New York. Humans helping humans again...some say they were angels in human form.

This particular church stands directly across the street from where the towers once stretched to the sky. I visited New York in December after the September tragedy. The church had become a central communications point for those searching for their loved ones. Inside, the banners that adorned the walls were from all over the world. Some thanking for all the volunteer help, banners remembering the lost souls and the brave firefighters and policemen on that day.

Outside lining the sidewalks and front of the church were poignant photos "Looking for....", "Have you seen....", "My husband...the best Father to .....", Janet, mother to be...." The smell of electrical wiring still hung heavy in the air.

Eight years after the tragedy, our human nature tends to put aside tragedy as a coping defense. While completely understandable...the trauma of that day is not lessened by time...it still remains an unconscionable act that ripped the American fabric. It has been said that September 11th, 2001 began "The New Normal"...our life, our privacy rights, our daily activities were inexorably changed on that day.

Prayers for the families who lost loved ones on that cool crisp sunny day in September, I haven't forgotten you and never will.

18 comments:

Sunny said...

I too have not forgotten. Thank you for your moving photos. God Bless America.
Sunny :)

Anonymous said...

What beautiful images and a beautiful, moving tribute. Thank you Dan.

Heather said...

Dan, I hadn't seen this church photo before - beautiful. Thank you for reminding us in such a perfectly gentle way. I, too, can remember that entire day.

Dan Felstead said...

Sunny...Thank you for your comment...I was across Hudson in Jersey City on that day 8 years ago...directly across from where the Towers fell...It changed my outlook on life.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks Tricia...let's hope we never have to go through this again.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Heather...it is so cliched now but we can all remember where we were on that day...to me it remains crystal clear. I will post in detail about it at some point.

Dan

shabby girl said...

This is a beautiful post, Dan. The inside of the church photo has such an etherial quality to it. It feels like an angelic place.
What is the saying? If you don't remember history, you are bound to repeat it? Let's never forget.

DawnTreader said...

I remember you posting that top picture before (at Soaring Through the World), I was kind of hoping you would repost it today because I think it it fantastic. I did not know about that church, I'm glad you included that too!
What you write about putting aside tragedy as coping defense... You might like to read a poem I wrote back then that I posted on my blog today; it is about exactly that!

Dan Felstead said...

Shabbygirl...As time separates us from the event...it seems to fade but as I mentioned before...that doesn't lessen the horror...I think it is good to be jerked back to reality and continue to realize how it changed our day to day life.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Dawn Treader...I will be interested to see how someone across the pond saw the event...I will check it out.

Dan

septembermom said...

That day will sit in our minds forever. Thank you Dan for this moving post and photos. Peace for everyone in this world, I pray.

Mrs. N said...

Thank you for remembering. I'm talking about it with my students all day today. Many of them were only 7-9 years old when it happened. It's amazing to hear about what they remember and to notice that their emotions that day weren't all that different from those of the adults around them.

Great post. Thanks again for sharing.

Dan Felstead said...

Septembermom...you were in the midst of it up there...I am sure it is burned in your mind. I was staying in Jersey City at the hilton...right across from where the towers stood.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Miss H...thank you for the perspective of a teacher and how your students feel about it. I have wondered if in the schools anything is done on this day.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Can I tell how lovely and moving this tribute is? A shame we had to encounter such tragedy to bring us together even if for a moment. "Humans helping humans again..." I love that. I will never forget the heroes, the families, the mothers/fathers/sons/daughters/friends....who lost their lives, 9/11 is what keeps me in check.

Dan Felstead said...

Pura..thank you for your comments...I wish we (the universal "We") could have kept those feelings of wanting to help our neighbors that we felt at that time of turmoil. For a short span of time...we lost all boundaries of race, religion, gender, ethnic background...we were "Humans helping Humans.

Dan

A Scattering said...

I first read of St. Paul's just a few days ago. Your photo is lovely, very touching.

Dan Felstead said...

Thank you Scattering...it is a magical place and very inspirational place to visit if you are ever in NYC.

Dan