Wednesday, January 27, 2010




The ears lay back close to the head, or they show their teeth or their nostrils flare. Cats, dogs and horses all express their inner feelings by facial expressions. So too the human animal.

Pictures taken at a re-enactment last summer reveal looks of skepticism, concentration and a warning not to enter his space without a word being said. I think it is all about the eyes in human expression. Or more than the eyes...because they really don't change...it is the eyelids and eyebrows. Whether they are up or down, squinting or open in wonderment...if observed, they telegraph the inner thoughts. I think we often size up an individual upon meeting them in the first few seconds by unconsciously analyzing their facial features.

Again going back to one of my earlier posts...there are people that when they walk into a room...others are drawn to them even before they speak. Others are for the most part ignored. I don't believe it is about our dress or our voice...I think it is in the space from the forehead to the chin that decides our future interactions with others.

I could be way off target here...what do you think?

Dan

8 comments:

DawnTreader said...

You seem to be in a provoking mood. First you tell us we are what we read (previous post), then that our facial expressions reveal what we're thinking. Phew, good thing there is no camera attached to my computer (that I know of)... LOL

Just kidding of course; on the whole I tend to agree with you! Those are really excellent portraits.

Dan Felstead said...

Dawn Treader...Ha Ha...I think I am loosing touch with reality! Do you think I am a bit paranoid?

Dan

septembermom said...

Here is a direct quote from my two oldest sons when they saw these pictures: "COOL!" Dan, see how you impress all the generations??

DawnTreader said...

No Dan, I don't think you're paranoid; just a keen observer! ;)

Dan Felstead said...

Septembermom! Thanks and tell your son's I appreciate their comments! You mean that a 60 year old actually did something that promoted a "Cool" remark??? I am honored!

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Dawn Treader...a keen paranoid observer!

Dan

Sunny said...

I'm not sure if I agree with you. When I observe someone, I tend to look at the 'whole package', clothing, face, demeanor. A lot of times we have to interact with someone regardless of how we perceive them, such a boss.
LOL, maybe I'm not reading your narrative the way it was meant!
Anyway, your pictures are wonderful.
Sunny :)

Dan Felstead said...

Sunny...I missed your comment and just came across it...sorry about that! I guess you are probably right...they say "the clothes make the man/woman"...probably true.

Dan