Friday, January 15, 2010

Let's recognize those behind the scenes


It is easy to throw praise to the superstar for a job well done...how many of us are superstars?

When I visited the Street Rod Nationals last summer to take photos of the cars, I spent so much time praising the car owners for their beautiful creations. When I visited behind the scenes, my eyes were opened to a whole subculture behind the restored cars. Often times, these folks are really the one that make it happen. The semi transport truck above was not on display..it was hidden behind the curtains...tucked away out of site. But I am sure that the driver of the truck was just as proud of his ride and the owner of the wild blue hemi sporting monster on display for all to see.

This same idea was recently brought to mind again by my son. He is a camera man at our local Fox affiliate in Evansville. This is another example of a technician behind the scenes that usually gets no recognition for an important part of a production.

I am going to start to make an effort to look past the obvious...not to say the "Superstar" doesn't deserve praise because they do...but so do the folks who provide the underpinnings...the cook, the janitor, the volunteer, clerical staff, dispatcher, candystriper, teacher's aid and the person in the basement who is sorting the mail.

Just some random thoughts today!

Have a great Saturday

Dan

16 comments:

septembermom said...

The guys behind the scenes really make things happen for all of us. Great pictures and great thoughts Dan. I think I'll wake up snoring hubby to see these!!

Indrayani said...

Awesome thinking Dan! I am making an effort to look beyond and more than teh obvious.. and trust me, you will always find more!
Lovely thots and awesome pics as always! :)

DawnTreader said...

Very true Dan!
Btw I installed the Photoshop Elements software today and got started playing around with some artistic filters again...
Thanks! ♥

shabby girl said...

A simple, "great job!" to someone that rarely gets the recognition would be a wonderful surprise for them, wouldn't it?
Thanks for the reminder!

Cynthia L. H. said...

Great idea, Dan!
;^)

Anonymous said...

Speaking of 'superstars' Dan-- I would say you more than qualify in your field. Once again your images are spectacular.

(I think your idea of shining the light behind the scenes is great)

Sunny said...

That is an awesome truck! I totally agree with you. There are a lot of people behind the scenes that get little or no recognization. Been there...done that!
Sunny :)

Dan Felstead said...

Septembermom...he might be disappointed since it isn't a picture of a GTO!

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks Idrayani...I agree...there is always more under the surface.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Dawn Treader...I have been out of the loop for a couple of days and I will check our your pics on the Photoshop elements...good luck with it!

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Shabbygirl...always appreciative and always surprised!

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Cynthia...thanks for the comment. How are things going in school?

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Tricia...thanks but no superstar here...just a love for photography of all kinds.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Sunny...I have noticed that you are in the technology field and there are many folks in that field that never receive the recognition they deserve!

Dan

Anonymous said...

There is much truth in your words - so often do we overlook that which is not immediately visible to our blind eyes...
Spectacular photos of awesome machines!

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks S Barbie. Cars are one of my favorites to photograph...not so much that I love the cars but I love the paint jobs and the reflections for the photo.

Dan