Thursday, February 25, 2010

Epitath - Life is not Fair


I visited San Diego about 2 years ago and while I was there I spent some time with a friend of mine who I used to work with. He and I were downsized from our company at the same time. He was living the life only some of us could dream of. He lived on a sailboat traveling off the coast of southern California. In his mid 40s, he had said goodbye to the stresses of corporate life and was living his dream. I took the above picture at the end of a hot San Diego summer day just before nightfall.

Little did I know that two years later, I would be writing about the loss of a friend. I was notified yesterday that he had lost a battle to brain cancer.

So many times in the past when Zach (my son) went through trying times, I would tell him that life isn't fair...I am seeing that myself today.

Chris...you were a treat to all that knew you...we will miss you.

Dan

11 comments:

Sunny said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. You are so right, life is not fair in so many ways.
Sunny

Unknown said...

Truly sorry to hear about the loss of one near to you. yes, truly I am. We walk through life busy with the normal to-do list...the, I'll get that done tomorrow list. And we often miss sight of the I Am In the Moment List. But yet, I do not think either of you had that problem.

From my viewpoint, it sounds as if you both welcomed the day...and embraced it fully. Your glorious art with a camera lens and he...on the seas of azure blue.

Life, not fair...but oh so beautiful...and I dare say he recognized that...

My condolences....and lovely piece you have offered in his memory.

The Muse said...

oh...hubby was signed in :)

DawnTreader said...

Seems like reminders of our mortality keep popping up a lot lately (having something to do with one's own age, perhaps...) Sorry about your friend, and it is always difficult to take in that someone we knew is no longer with us! No, life is not fair. But also not always easy to say who is/was getting the most out of it.

glnroz said...

my condolences,,it aint fair.

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks so much Sunny...it was a shock for me...last I heard...he was doing fine.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Tom thank you for stopping by and thank you for the comforting words...you have a great way with them!

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Muse...is Tom ...hubby?

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Dawn Treader...you are right...why does someone's death always remind us of our own mortality? But is sure does bring it front and center.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Glenrz...thanks....short to the point and so true.

Dan

The Muse said...

yes :)
Tom is hubby :)
LOL :)