Saturday, February 27, 2010

Michigan Avenue...2 am

Often when I made a trip to Chicago...I would stay at the Marriott on Michigan avenue. I liked the idea of being able to walk out and be on the busiest street in the loop on the Magnificent Mile with all of the activity of a bustling city. But just as invigorating it was during the day and early evening...it was also very lonely late at night.

A city has two sides to it...the invitation of excitement and the loss of identity if you are a visitor. By 2:00am the street was reduced to a few people left over from the restaurants and late night bars...a population totally alien to anyone alone...moving at that time of night.

I love the pulse of a large urban center but I hate the accompanying feeling of total isolation.

Dan

8 comments:

shabby girl said...

I can have that feeling right here in this small town too, now that I'm older and usually don't go out at night. It's a whole other world that's very foreign to me these days.
Beautiful shot Dan.

Unknown said...

wonderful photo as usual! I can relate to the hustle of a city and still have the feeling of isolation. crazy huh?

septembermom said...

There is something to feeling that "pulse", but I agree that I like the slower pace most of the time. Great photo Dan!

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks Shabbygirl and you are right this type of late night alienation can happen anywhere if you are a visitor to the scene.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Doreen it sounds like you and I have had the same feeling out at night in a city by yourself...sometimes it can be overwhelming.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks Septembermom....Chicago and New York have totally different feelings at night...Chicago sleeps and new York is just waking up!

Dan

myonlyphoto said...

Very nice, I like night live too but that late, lol. Great work again, Anna :)

Dan Felstead said...

Anna...I know what you mean but alone in a city...I wanted to see the night subculture!

Dan