Tuesday, April 13, 2010

IU Bound


You own the road at 4:30 in the morning.

Indiana University was 4 hours away and they were an hour ahead of us. The road between Evansville and Bloomington winds itself through rural Indiana...now and then passing through small communities less than 1000 or so population...some as few as 200. They are mostly towns that time has forgot since interstates passed them by during the interstate building boom of the 1950's.

I was off to visit on old friend...IU...Indiana University. My wife went to IU while I was going to Purdue in the late 60's/early 70's. I spent so much time at IU that it still feels like a long lost friend. Today, I would combine work with pleasure...although the work doesn't feel like ...well...work. Today my "work" is photographing the Little 500 race at IU. It is my passion so I look forward to this "work" day. The Little 500 race is in it's 60th year with long traditions and a rich history since it's humble beginnings.

The soothing lights from the instrument panel and my favorite playlist on the IPOD are my companions today. About an hour out of Evansville on the two lane I pass a bright spot...see it out of my peripheral vision...finding a turn around I head back to the source of the light. The head lights shine on a brown and white sign "Patoka River Wildife Refuge". The brightness I saw was the sunrise reflecting on the wetlands. The sun was not yet above the horizon but the orange glow signaled it's immanent arrival.

I looked as best I could but couldn't see the birds making the sounds...quite different than the Blue Jays back home. I think they must have been Egrets or Herons...quite common in the wetlands of the Midwest. After pausing a while to take in the sounds and musky fragrance of the wetlands...I was off to see what lay around the next bend.

Dan

8 comments:

The Lly Dilettante said...

lovely colours, Dan.

Sunny said...

This reminds me of a stained glass window, the colors are amazing.
Sunny :)

Anonymous said...

Wow - as the others have already said...beautiful colors in this one. So tranquil and lovely :)

Dan Felstead said...

Lly, Sunny and Alabama Heather...thank you for the comments. It was a glorious sunrise and a great start to a great day!

I am teaching today and am sneaking in a response here...hope I don't get caught!

Dan

septembermom said...

Gorgeous colors. Almost hypnotizing.

amatamari© said...

Really magnificent: bravo!!!
:-)

myonlyphoto said...

lol, about the road early in the morning. Wow for the photo, excellent composition. Anna :)

shabby girl said...

What a beautiful photo Dan. Wouldn't it be great to have a mural of that on a wall. I don't think I'd ever get tired of looking at it.