Monday, August 30, 2010

Open for business...garage...not antiques


Passing by the old garage, I had to stop...the Standard Oil Sign caught my eye.


Standard Oil ceased to exist after the energy crisis of the '70s. Yet it still exists here along the side of the two lane...gas pumps and all. At first I thought the old building was an antique dealer but I found that the owner still serviced the tractors and farm implements of the area.

The only service for miles...he was a critical part of the community. Brings to mind the saying..."Don't judge a book by it's cover". We all have a purpose while we are here. If the occasional visitor misses your purpose and importance...take comfort that the ones who matter know you are important.

Dan





5 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Good photo. Good words.

septembermom said...

Love your last sentence. You get it right every time Dan. Love the photo too.

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks J...appreciate it.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks Septembermom...there are so many people who struggle each day to fulfill their purpose here on this earth and no one even notices.

Dan

Unknown said...

I don't know which photo I like best - the color or sepia toned. You know how much I love old buildings! I've been lacking in inspiration the past few weeks, but I think this photo is bringing it back. Thanks, Dan!