Monday, February 2, 2009

One more image of the ice storm then I will move on...I know I am obsessing here but the opportunity for great photos was just too much to resist. I will save the rest and post them in July when we need a break from the heat!

I captured a huge oak with ice covered trees in the background. My surprise when I looked at the image was the refraction of the setting sun through the ice crystals on the large oak. We had no electricity but nature's power plant was at full power. The sunset shown on the old oak as strings of lights as if it was plugged into nature's receptacle. I shot the picture due to the dramatic contrast between the dark blue foreground of the snow at sunset and the bright orange cast of the ice covered trees. Another contrast that I wasn't counting on was the fact that we were out of electricity but nature had her own power supply. If you click on the picture to make it bigger, the ice cystal refractions show up in more detail.

5 comments:

daijoji said...

Dear Dan, that is me, who would like to thank you for your amazing photos...

All the best for you and warm regards from Poland! :-)

Sunny said...

Is that a sparkling tree? It is wonderful and the landcape seems to be out of a fairy-tale.

Sunny said...

Catch an award :)

Dan Felstead said...

Yes Sunny, it was truly a sparkling tree...I have not seen that type of reflection before.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Magdalena...I am proud to have someone from Poland following the blog...welcome aboard!

Dan