Thursday, June 25, 2009

This time of year, there are so many beautiful images of summer daisies spread across the web...many are posted by followers of this blog... beautiful they are.

Being that person who is always for the underdog, I thought I would post an image of daisies...but daisies who have passed their prime. At one time...sporting bright pristine white petals with brilliant orange centers...these daisies were bursting with pride. Now, their petals torn, missing, spotted and reaching towards the sun for that last bit of nourishment...they don't compare to the new younger more robust daisies in their prime.

They have now served their purpose...once beautiful...attracting the bees and releasing their pollen to assure the return of daisies for next year...the survival dance has taken it's toll. Daisies not unlike any living creature on this planet valiantly battle the passage of time only to lose but their time on this earth only enhances the beauty of Summer...Old Daisies are beautiful too!

16 comments:

Heather said...

Yes - they are, Dan. I love daisies...absolutely adore them - I have since I was a tiny little girl. There is an old photo of me holding a few of them in my mom's side yard when I was little...I'll have to find it and post it with some thoughts...

Oh, Dan...now you've got me going!

{thank you}


AND this is a perfect photo to tribute our elderly daisies :)

Unknown said...

Daisies are my favorite flower! I carried daisies and yellow roses when I got married 20 years ago.

Heather said...

They're still so pretty. Daisies (even these slightly battered ones) are such happy little flowers. They make me happy and remind me it's summer. :)

Mary Lamoray said...

They most certainly are beautiful!! You are a true artist Dan... Some people just take pictures but you are a master! :)))

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks everyone! I am having some computer problems this morning so I am responding in bulk! I like to respond individually to each comment because you have so much to offer...but today I keep getting kicked off the net so I am posting a quick one while I am still connected!

Arghhh#@^&*!

Dan

Cynthia L. H. said...

You know, Dan, until I read it at the end of your post, I did not even notice that they were "old" daisies. I just thought they were beautiful!
:^)

Dan Felstead said...

Cynthia...
Yes actually the picture was taken a couple of days ago and already they are gone or almost gone.

Dan

septembermom said...

Daisies are such sweet smiling flowers. Lovely photo. Those daisies are a great "pick me up" for me today:) Thanks!

_we_the_pieces_ said...

I agree, old daises are quite beautiful as well. (:

Dan Felstead said...

Septembermom....

Glad it was a pick me up for you...I think you can use one today!

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks Molly....Have a great weekend!

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Septembermom....

Glad it was a pick me up for you...I think you can use one today!

Dan

aurbie said...

What can I say except that is just awesome? One day, I will have time to play and be more creative. By the time I have finished talking photos for the newspapers and beating deadlines, I don't even want to look at my cameras.

Oh, I kid the cameras. I love them. But sometimes I don't even want them in the same room with me.

shabby girl said...

Dan, you have such a way with words. Flowers, even people, past their prime still have much to offer.
Uh, I have been struggling with getting kicked off the net for a couple of weeks now. What the???

Dan Felstead said...

Patty...I know...it is like a barber that always needs a haircut!

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Shabbygirl...I don't know what the problem with the net has been. I have also had trouble lately with Blogger posting from the scheduled post dates. Hopefully it will correct itself. Have a great weekend.

Dan