Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Thos C. Singleton - 1908




I would like to have met Thomas C. Singleton.

When I arrived to the one lane leading to the barn, the sun was in it's last throws. When I left the barn...nightfall was approaching. The cows were all heading to the barn for the night...they knew the drill. I don't know about your part of the country or world but round barns are very rare in this area. They had their peak in popularity in the late 1800's/early 1900's. It is said that they began to disappear from the farm scene with the onset of mechanized farm machinery. A round barn wasn't suited to the needs of straight walls or corners to store the equipment.

My guess is that if you are ever on the road and pass by a round barn...it will grab your attention. So different than what we normally think of as a barn.

Dan

13 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

That is a barn and a bit!

Heather said...

Great shots, Dan. I love unique finds such as a round barn. They're also rare around Vermont but were not once upon a time. We have one at the Shelburne Museum that you'd be SO impressed with!!

Hey, there I see J Cosmo Newbery - been awhile since I've seen his name :)

Sunny said...

That is one beauty of a barn.
Round barns are a rare find even in this area. I visited Hancock Shaker Village many years ago, where there is a huge one made of stone. I'll have to search through my old 35mm pictures, I probably have pictures!
Sunny :)

Anonymous said...

Very cool - As many farms as I've seen (and I've seen quite a few!) I've never seen a round barn. Love it!

Cynthia L. H. said...

Round barns are so interesting! There is one in Texas on the drive to my daughter's. It sits quite far back from the road, but sometimes, if the trees are not blocking it, it can be seen.
;^)
Great photos, Dan!
;^)
Very peaceful.

septembermom said...

That's a barn with personality. Great pictures.

Dan Felstead said...

J...great description...a barn and a bit!

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Vermont Heather...Yes J is stopping back by every now and then again...glad to have him back with his "poetic" comments!

I would have thought the round barns would have been plentiful in Vermont...I don't know why..it just seems like a Vermont thing!


Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Sunny...I googled the Shaker village and saw the barn! Actually I had seen that barn before in pictures but didn't realize it was from the Shaker village.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Alabama Heather...old Round barns are almost legends up here...the few that remain.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks Cynthia...like I said...when you pass one you almost always notice it because it is not what one would expect with a barn!

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Thanks Septembermom...it DOES have it's own personality!

Dan

ruma said...

It is like an illusion really.
And elegant.

Your splendid photography...

Happy weekend.

From the Far East.
Best regards.
ruma