Saturday, May 15, 2010

Built in Radar

Seals are always on a child's "most liked" animal list at the zoo.


When we lived in St. Louis, the seals were one of the best attractions. They were very accessible and used to the crowds so they would come up very close to the zoo patrons. I have always been enamored by their course white whiskers. Recently, I found out that the whiskers serve a very important function for them. They often hunt for food in murky waters so they can't locate food by sight. Instead they move their whiskers like a radar and they can sense food with them.

Next time you are at the Zoo...be sure to check out the whiskers!

Have a great Saturday,

Dan

6 comments:

Sunny said...

Their whiskers almost look like porcupine quills. Great picture! I certainly give it my 'seal' of approval.
Okay I can hear you booing from here!
Sunny :)

shabby girl said...

Oh my Lord Dan, what a picture! Fantastic.
I'm pretty fascinated with whiskers on all animals. Shasta's are very neat and orderly, while Wilson's are all geehawky and crazy looking. I think it may have to do with brain function. :)

DawnTreader said...

They are cute. At our zoo there is a little lake (natural one) where they have sea lions and seals in the summer, and also do a show with them. Always much appreciated by children and grown-ups both.

Dan Felstead said...

I am not booing! I love puns!

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Shabbygirl...I am gong to have to Google "geehawky"! I have a feeling it won't show up on a search! However, I just picked up a great word!

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Dawn Treader...they are friendly and intelligent animals. We had shows also like you described.

Dan