Saturday, July 16, 2011

Predator

At first I was ecstatic!

Just off of our patio we have a seed cage for woodpeckers. I passed by the door and out of the corner of my eye caught a glimpse of something large...almost disorienting, something unusual.

I found myself face to face (about 5 feet distance) from a hawk. I always have my camera by the back door for occasions like this. I had seen him flying high above or gliding on the thermals but never...never this close!

After he left, the ecstasy faded to dread. I googled "What do hawks eat"....small birds are their favorite "plat du jour". The seed block is next to the hummingbird feeder where I take the pictures of hummingbirds....birds that return each Spring to greet me and assure me that "Spring has sprung".

Now I need to google "How do you get rid of a hawk"!

Dan


5 comments:

Mrs. N said...

Dan-
It's so good to come back after a long Blogging break and see you're still at it. I re-read your "About Me" section and what you hope your photos and narrative will help people do. It's just so fantastic!

I love today's picture! You always capture the moment in such unique ways. Thanks for the "writespiration" yet again. I can't wait to come back here tomorrow for a prompt! :)

shabby girl said...

Circle of Life, right? How many times I watched it in AZ. I did finally learn to not watch. :)

Cynthia L. H. said...

What a beautiful creature...and photograph. This must have been an amazing moment for you. I hope that the hawk will leave the other birdies alone at your feeder...and continue that circle of life over a field or something....

dianne said...

It is a beautiful looking hawk, it is such a shame that they have to eat small birds and creatures to survive, it would be a nicer world if they all ate seeds and grasses.

xoxoxo ♡

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Sure to ruffle a few feathers...