Saturday, March 27, 2010

Reflections of Society



Both are Cadillacs...one a 1950 vintage and the other a 2010 model.

I know that music and fashion are outward expressions of the mood of a society at any point in time. We had the tie-dyed Ts with a peace symbol of the 60's and The big Hair metal bands of the 80's....both reflecting the mood of the country.

I take the position that Detroit also uses car designs to follow the mood of the country as well. I think that the free flowing, fun lines of the 50's caddy is in contrast with the rigid, sharp angles and no nonsense design of 2010 says a lot about where we are right now. I prefer the free flowing fun lines myself.

Dan

8 comments:

DawnTreader said...

Dan... Scrolling down my Reading list just now, this post of yours happened to be right next to a post which I think you should pay a visit - especially the video included in it... Link Enjoy...

Unknown said...

the red shot is stunning! cadillac seem to be the theme, I have posted one also for "Weekend Reflections". The cars are not like the good ole ones from the 50's thru the 70's.

Sunny said...

I bet a vintage 1950 Caddy is worth more than a new one.
The first Cadillac I ever rode in was a 1958 El Dorado convertible, it was the second car I ever rode in after coming to the US. The first was a 1958 Chevy Biscayne.
Sorry, your post triggered a trip down memory lane! LOL
Sunny :)

Dan Felstead said...

Dawn Treader...ROTFLOL! The timing was perfect...thanks for the heads up. I had heard the song before but never put to video! Now I need to take a picture of a Nash!

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Doreen...I went to your site but couldn't find the picture of the Cadillac???

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Sunny...WOW! What an introduction to the states! Those old Eldorados were all hood! Quite an upgrade from the Biscyne!

Dan

Anonymous said...

Where do you find all of these magnificent machines?!
Stunning!

Dan Felstead said...

S. Barbie...this was taken last summer at the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville Ky. There were 12,000 classic hot rod cars in attendance..literally!

Dan